Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tot School: Oct. 26-30

Tot School
E is 21 months

We had a busy week of Tot School! E and I continued with our pumpkin theme this week. I got to all of the activities I wanted to do with her, pretty much!

Learning Toys/Trays:
Transferring pom-poms to an ice cube tray, putting one pom-pom in each hole. Hopefully we can work up to using a spoon or tongs, but right now she gets mad if she can't "pet" them!
Pouring wooden beads. It was funny, she had to take one or two and transfer them by hand first, and then pour the rest. So she had something to aim for?
Puzzles. Mommy is trying SO HARD not to help! She needs to learn to do it on her own.
Sorting shapes in the Fisher Price box. E was being such a goof this day. She'd put the shape in a wrong hole and go "nope!" Then do it again and again to all the wrong holes. Then she finally would push it through the correct hole and say "there it goes!"
Reading Basket/Alphabet:
We kept our pumpkin books this week. We used the jack-o-lantern images in them to choose the faces for our pumpkins this year!

We also continued on with letter P this week, doing several more pumpkin activities.

Pumpkin Theme:
I made some pumpkin size cards, and we worked on sorting big, medium, and small. I also added dots to the cards so we could work on counting one, two, three; but we never got around to that part.

We read The Pumpkin Patch Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs and turned our pumpkin from last week into a jack-o-lantern.

We also played a game I have seen on several blogs, tossing balls or beanbags into a bucket. This week we used our Halloween pumpkin basket. E didn't really toss them in, more like dropped them. But she loved the game and we played it several times this week.
Arts and Crafts:
Well, of course we carved our pumpkins! I chose the scary face from the book Pumpkin Circle, E chose the happy face from Where is Baby's Pumpkin? And Daddy just wanted a silly face. Mommy had to carve them all, but everyone helped with scooping the goop out and sorting out the seeds to roast.
For open-ended art this week, the theme was pumpkins, so we did pumpkin painting and pumpkin prints. You can see more about this in my post here.
Photo of the Week:
Of course, my favorite photo this week is the picture of my absolute favorite little doctor and her Auntie, Elphaba, getting ready to go trick-or-treating!

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

What a fun week! I tried the beanbags a few weeks ago but my tot had no interest. She likes to do things her way. Only! LOL

That doctor's outfit was too cute!

sbswtp said...

Great activities! I liked the pumpkin prints :)

melaniet42 said...

We love the bean bag game! I think it's a super smart idea to use ice cube trays for the pom-poms. We'll have to try it out!!