Thursday, November 5, 2009

Open-Ended Art: Matisse

This week's open-ended art theme was an artist! Henri Matisse lived in France in the early 20th century and is considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century. After reading a couple of books about his life and paintings, E and I made some cut paper collages inspired by two of his pieces: The Snail and La Gerbe

I prepped this activity by cutting out lots of shapes out of construction paper. As we were making our collages, I reviewed E's colors with her, using the shapes as a guide.
First, I helped E put some glue on her paper. This excited her a lot - I haven't let her loose with the glue before.
Then we chose shapes and placed them on the glue. When E wanted to put a shape on top of another shape, I just put a dab of glue down for her.
And here are our finished products! E's is on top, and mine is on the bottom.
To see more open-ended art, visit Mommies Wise Little Bookworms

6 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute! Both of you did great Matisse interpretation.

Zonnah said...

I love both of them :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great job! turned out great!: )

we have that exact table i covered our top with chalkboard paint

Musical Mama said...

Thank you for your comments! I'm so proud of my table, I got it this week at a thrift store for super cheap. Chalkboard paint would be a really cool idea!

Donette said...

Looks very "Matisse" to me. Well done

Adriana said...

They turned out great and looks like she had fun!